Translate


Search This Blog

The Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion
Photo By Miss KLSlomczynski

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Ask Katie

eBay the bargee boys Callan and Bryndly Link(s)

Wednesday 26 July 2023

When Absent From the Nymph I Love By Allan Ramsay.

 

When Absent From the Nymph I Love


When absent from the nymph I love,

I’d fain shake off the chains I wear;

But whilst I strive these to remove,

More fetters I’m obliged to bear:

My captived fancy, day and nigh,

Fairer and fairer represents

Belinda, formed for delight,

But cruel cause of my complaints.


All day I wander through the groves,

And, nighing, hear from every tree,

The happy birds, chirping their loves,

Happy compared with lonely me.

When gentle sleep, with balmy wings,

to rest fans every weary wight,

A thousand fears my fancy brings,

That keeps me watching all the night.


Sleep flies, while like the goddess fair,

And all the graces in her train,

With melting smiles and killing air,

Appears the cause of all my pain.

Awhile, my mind delighted, flies

O’er all her sweets, with thrilling joy.

Whilst want of work makes doubts arise,

That all my trembling hopes destroy.


Thus while my thoughts are fixed on her.

I’m all o’er transports and desire,

My pulse beats high, my cheeks appear

All roses, and mine eyes all fire.

When to myself I turn to view,

My veins grow chill, my cheeks look was;

Thus whilst my fears my pains renew,

I scarcely look or move a man.


By Allan Ramsay.


No comments:

Post a Comment