Translate


Search This Blog

The Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion
Photo By Miss KLSlomczynski

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Ask Katie

eBay the bargee boys Callan and Bryndly Link(s)

Saturday 22 July 2023

The Auld Man’s Best Argument By Allan Ramsay (1686-1758)

 

The Auld Man’s Best Argument

To the Tune of, Widow are ye wawkin? – 

O Wha’s that at my chamber-door? 

Fair widow are ye wawking?” 

Auld carle, your suite give o’er, 

Your love lyes a’ in tawking. 

Gi’e me the lad that’s young and tight, 

Sweet like an April meadow; 

Tis sic as he can bless the sight, 

And bosom of a widow. 



O widow, wilt thou let me in, 

I’m pawky, wise and thrifty, 

And come of a right gentle kin; 

I’m little mair than fifty.” 

Daft carle dit your mouth, 

What signifies how pawky, 

Or gentle born ye be, – bot youth, 

In love you’re but a gawky. 



Then, widow, let these guineas speak, 

That powerfully plead clinkan, 

And if they fail my mouth I’ll steek, 

And nae mair love will think on.” 

These court indeed, I maun confess, 

I think they make you young, sir, 

And ten times better can express 

Affection, than your tongue, sir. 

By Allan Ramsay (1686-1758)

No comments:

Post a Comment