Translate


Search This Blog

The Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion
Photo By Miss KLSlomczynski

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Ask Katie

eBay the bargee boys Callan and Bryndly Link(s)

Monday 16 March 2015

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-of-Travel-Books/347855165266574?ref=hl

The second book that Alan read to me was a "Town Like Alice" By Nevil Shute

I have always loved the movie staring staring Virginia McKenna. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0571441/bio Who is well know for the movie "Born Free."

For years when ever the movie was on TV I would always love it despite it being in black and white.  "A Town Like Alice" was always one on my favourite war movies, although the story line is very sad.

I often wondered if it was based upon a true story, but never really check until last year and found out that it was based upon face and people that the author had known/met.

When Alan finally gave me the book for my birthday we could not put it down.  I was shocked as to how much of the book was missed out of the movie and how in teh film it was Jean Paget who was the narrator when in fact in the book it is Noel Strachan who is Jean's lawyer. 

In the film it opens up with Jean in London and saying how she would like to go back to Malaya to build a well for the villagers who helped her during war.  What it dose not do is say where she got the money from to do so.

The information about this is all in the first chapter of the book that is missed out of the movie interiorly along with most of the book including why the book is called "A Town Like Alice."  Which you can find out by reading the book your self.

The movie also ends on a cliff hanger with the tow key cast members meeting up again, but what happes to them?

I also found that in the book Jean Paget is a much stronger women that she is portrayed in the movie and one that can speak Maylain and supports everyone, this gets lost a little in the film.

Never the less is will still remains my favourite  War movie of all times and I would recommend reading the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment